Life running in the dessert

Feeling Different about Ultra Marathons

♠ Posted by Paul Naylor at 7:31 AM
I recently ran in the Surf City Marathon. During the race, I remember thinking the pain I was in because the distance, and for this reason I don’t run to full marathon distance that often.
I also had the thought of never running a marathon again if I can help it. Before Surf City, I never entertained the thought of an Ultra Marathon, it was a distance I previously had no desire to run.
I felt good about not ever worrying about training, running, or recovering from a race like this.
After finishing the Surf City Marathon though, left me hungry for this distance.

This past weekend in Surf City, I had very little training for the marathon. And it was painful to push myself to finish the race. I look back now that the race and see what kind of training would go into this race to run a successful race. A few days after the race, I watched a YouTube documentation of a runner’s ultra marathon. A fire began to grow within me; I wanted to run an Ultramarathon. This was a little weird, because I never thought I would run a race longer than 26.2 miles. A triathlon sure, but never a strictly running race longer than the standard marathon.
I do not think that i’ll run an ultramarathon anytime soon. It won't be this year and probably not even next year. But I do see myself running one in 2017.

Its crazy to hear myself say that I’m going to run an ultramarathon. I know that my plan is not to run one for a couple of years, but I’m getting excited for the chance to run in the event. I’m sure this event is going to bring new challenges to the table, but I’m excited to start the journey.

0 comments:

Post a Comment