Life running in the dessert

Snow Canyon Half Marathon - Race Recap

♠ Posted by Paul Naylor in , at 10:04 PM

Utah has no shortage of half marathons that have the most incredible scenery the country has to offer.

I've run several half marathons in throughout the state, and it seemed that most of them have fantastic views. 

After a few years of trying to adjust my schedule to run this race, this year proved to be the year where everything fell into place. I had many friends run this race in the past, and they all have great experiences. Now, its my turn!

I have heard that there has been changes to the course since previous years. For starters, there was a section of the course that on trail, this year, the entire course is on the road. Many runners were excited for this, because it could be a better chance for a PR. The other big change they had was the finish, last year, runners had to almost run a full circle on the track to the finish line. This year, there was no full circle to the finish, just a straight shot to the finish line.

Displaying 20141101_062654.jpg

There has been buzz about the finish medals in recent years, some of the feedback has not been so positive about the look of the medals. Some of the feedback that I have read was the medals were either too small, too plain and lacked creativity, and some even stated that the medals looked like a last minute item. The race series Facebook page did not reveal what the medals would look like before the race. So all participants had to find out at the finish line. I think this year's medal is awesome! I'm a big fan of medals that have cut-outs, and I think St. George Race Series has done a great job.

Displaying 2014-11-04 21.35.11.jpg









Things from the race I remember:

-I was looking forward to great weather. It was warm and calm the night before, then cold, cloudy and windy the morning of the race.

-Many of the runners talking about a 40% chance of rain during the race....great.

-Second time this year where it was fairly cold at the start line. First time was at Big Cottonwood half.

-There were a few trails near the start line, it was great to take my warm up runs here.

-With that wind that morning, Murphy's Law had it be a head wind for most of the race.

-This was primarily a downhill race, but there were a few spots where you had rolling hills, about the last three miles.

-About four or five miles of the race was through Snow Canyon State Park. Absolutely some of the best scenery of red rock in Southern Utah.

-A few times during the race, it actually did rain.

-I tried new arm compression sleeves for this race. I wish I have ran with these sleeves in past races, there are great!

-Another race where I had only water and Gatorade, did not eat any or the fruit or gel paks during the race.

-One race down in the St.George Racing Series, one more to go to get a guaranteed spot in 2015 St. George Marathon.

Displaying 20141101_104828.jpg
-It was getting really cold and windy at this point.

Displaying 20141101_105137.jpg
-Finish line at Snow Canyon High School.

Displaying 20141101_161602.jpg
-Race #8 complete for 2014

Displaying 20141101_104940.jpg
-I sat next to this woman on the way up to the starting line, she has an incredible story. For the last three years, she and her daughter has ran a half marathon for each month of the year. That is a total of 36 half marathons for the last three. Amazing! Hearing her story really motivated me to run more.

Overall, I had enjoyed this race. Even with the weather conditions not being the best, I thought this was a great race. There were many people that participated, I can say that this is one of the biggest half marathons in Southern Utah. The staff of the St. George Racing Series and workers of the City of St. George, they have put on a good show. This is a race that I can see myself coming back to next year. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment