Life running in the dessert

Back to running and new race plans

♠ Posted by Paul Naylor at 9:15 PM
Tonight was the first night I've ran in about two weeks. I've been resting my right ankle and its finally feeling strong enough to run on where before I would feel pain after a few steps. I ran two miles at a moderate pace to slowly get back in the grove. Everything felt fine in the ankle, however my lower shin felt a little tight. This was great news to me, I feel I can work on my shin over the next week or so, and I think I'll be closer to a full recovery.

When I was out running this evening, I felt alive! Really felt good! I wanted to run more, my body was saying to me 'let's run forever tonight', I really wanted to. But I had to tell myself no, which was really hard for me to do. I had to remind myself that I'm com back from injury and that this is my third time running in three weeks. I'm sure I'll be back to my old self soon.

I've been thinking about my training tonight, I felt that I haven't been able to get a good start with my marathon training. The Surf City Marathon is coming up the first weekend in February, with the St. George Half Marathon two weeks before that. I know I have my work cut out for me, and I've been wondering how hard I should run in both races. The half in St. George is going to be a tune up race for the marathon. I thought about going at a conservative pace and finish in the 1:35-1:40 range, and there run harder in the marathon two weeks later. There are a few possibilities as far as strategy goes, but I have to get a plan quickly because I have to start this coming Monday.

I've been also been putting together a new diet plan. I've been eating pretty whatever and I don't think I'm getting away with it like I use to. So I thought about incorporating fruits and vegetables being the main staple in my meals. And chicken and fish as my meat, with a protein shake in the morning for breakfast. I have thought about a juice diet, but I'm not sure if I'll have time for it, since you can't train very hard during that diet.

Lastly, I thought about more races to do next year. I'm thinking about adding two dualthons in April and May. And the possibility of a Spartan or Tough Mudder race in the summer. I'm not sure about these yet, but I think they'll be fun races to participate in.
These are a few thoughts I had this evening. I hope all goes well for you all this evening.

0 comments:

Post a Comment