Life running in the dessert

Quest for 50 states

♠ Posted by Paul Naylor at 12:49 PM
As of this morning, I have made a goal to run a race, at least a half marathon or team relay in all 50 states. This is a goal that many runners make, and its a major goal. Not just for the running, the chance to travel all over the country and see places that you probably wouldn't have gone. And the training and the mental mindset to run races after traveling so often. And on top of all that, the cost to travel, race entries fees, and running gear. Yeah, this type of goal is a huge undertaking.

Goals like this doesn't happen quickly, from cost, to scheduling and training and injuries. This could take many many years to complete. But I think that it is a worthy goal achieve, even if it takes awhile.

I have not really though about making a goal like this in the past. I have read in magazines of professional runners doing this. So it never appealed to me. Until a few years ago, a running friend of mine made it goal for him to complete 50 marathons in 50 fifty states. When I first heard about him doing this, I though it was amazing. What makes his story really incredible, he has a prosthetic leg. This was from a accident in his early 20's. So he has been running and completing his goal with one leg. This outdoes any article that I've read about the pro's running all over the country. I really can't think of too many inspiring stories than his, and I thought about his journey for many weeks before making this a goal of mine.

On this page, there is a map that will track my progress. There is not much there now, but it'll grow over time. I have also made a page on this blog that is dedicated to this goal.



Wish me luck.

0 comments:

Post a Comment