Life running in the dessert

Changing workout routine

♠ Posted by Paul Naylor at 7:48 AM


The first two days in my goal for 250 miles in August, didn't start the way that I wanted, but it wasn't bad either. I ran 8 miles light on Friday, and wanted to run 12 on Saturday, but my legs were giving out, and had to stop at 6. I was overall happy for the 14 miles in the first two days, but I can see where I would need to make changes in my workout.

Some of the changes is more leg workouts. This is something that I have not done much during training. Mostly because I think that running is enough of a workout for the legs. I realized that this is a common mistake runners make. Even though that running, which mostly works your legs, is a good workout; strength training is necessary to running at a higher level.

 I have thought about what types of workouts that I can start to include in my daily routine, and I have came up with a few to try:
-Body weight squats
-Single leg squats
-Calve raises
-Backward heel walking
-Lunges
-One leg hop in place

These are the workouts that I'm going to try this week, I'm looking forward to having these increase my performance when running. I have also started to try separating strength training from running, working out in the morning before work, and running with core work after work.  If things go well with the workouts separate this week, then I'll continue it, but if not, I'll combine them for the rest of training. I'll keep you posted on my progress this week.

0 comments:

Post a Comment