Life running in the dessert

Just one more race...

♠ Posted by Paul Naylor at 10:35 PM

How many times have we felt like Dora? We trained hard for weeks, run the race, which in some cases, may have nearly killed us. Then after all is said and done, and glad that it is finally over, you say to yourself that you are never going to run again....until you see a race that looks amazing. Which may include but not limited to: great location, great scenery, great cause, chance to get another PR, and/or GREAT MEDAL!

This has happened to me on several occasions early in my road running career. I have ran a race, ran myself into exhaustion, then telling myself I'm never doing any of that nonsense ever again.

Then I get back to my car and see many flyers for other local races. I'm sure that we have all seen them, about four will be under the wiper blade, another 10 will be shoved in your driver side window. As annoying as these are, I can't help myself looking everyone of them over and making plans.

And it does happen just like that.....and 20 minutes ago when we were leaving the finish line area, thinking how stupid we must have been for even signing up for something like that in the first place. By the time we get back to the car and look at the race flyers, those thoughts pretty much goes away. And its these thoughts that usually come to our mind when looking at the flyers:
-I've always wanted to run there.
-My friend said that race was awesome!
-They have killer medals!
-Ooohh! A downhill course.
-I had no idea they had a race, looks fun.
-Challenge accepted.
-Okay, I'll run this race...then I'll be done.

Many more thoughts come to mind, but the point it, this happens to all of us. Perhaps its because we have really gone mad, or we are always wanting to get better at this addicting sport. But the moral of the story goes, its never [really] our last race....

0 comments:

Post a Comment