Life running in the dessert

50th Anniversary Mustang Half Marathon - Race Recap

♠ Posted by Paul Naylor at 7:00 PM


This race took place earlier this year in April, yet still a great race and second half marathon in Nevada. There is not as many races in Nevada as there are in Utah, and this is one that I wish would be a yearly event. Unfortunately, this is only a one time event, in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Ford Mustang. I saw this race from a Facebook ad and there were a few things that drew me to this race. First, was the opportunity to run on the NASCAR track. I've always wanted to run a race on these tracks, and this event opened the door for that goal.


Second, it was the medal, this is one of my favorites in my collection. I would have ran the race, regardless where it was, just for the medal. I think this is a great way to celebrate one of America's classic cars with the Mustang logo as the focus point.

Third, I wanted to run another half marathon during the spring months, I had recently ran in the Xterra Half Marathon Trail race a few weeks earlier. So I was hungry for another race to compete in, Even though I was not out to get a PR during this race, I wanted to at least improve my time from a year ago. This was a flat course, had at the most 40 feet elevation change.

The start and finish line was at THE starting line for the NASCAR race, one full circle was made around the track, we then made our way through the entry tunnels. The course then made a turn north as we headed to circle around the drag strip area then around the entire race track.



After making the full circle around the track, the course took a turn onto a side track west from the starting line. Lastly the course went back to the drag strip lanes, then turned to head back to the entry tunnels to the race track where we made a partial circle before heading back the start/finish line.

Once the race was over, I was really happy to be done, and to have the finisher medal. The only down side from this race is while I was doing my cool down stretch, I tweak a muscle around my left ankle. I think that I was leaning to far into a stretch with my shoes on(my shoes should have been off during these stretches). It was too much for my ankle to handle, and it made the walk back to my car really interesting.

I made a full recovery from this injury, but it took about three/four weeks.




Displaying .facebook_1418913497303.jpg
Race medal for the one-time race.



Early morning, two hours before the start.



Race #2 for 2014


We had to pass through these tunnels twice!


Near the starting and finish line.

Things from the race I remember:

-Realizing how big the NASCAR track was, really put everything in perspective while running on the track.

-Enjoying the benefits of a local race by not having to travel a long distance to get there.

-This was pretty much a flat course, there was this one small hill at the start of mile six.

-My Garmin was not fully charged before the race(rookie mistake) and it died at the 10k mark.

-April in Vegas is very warm, I was sweating just standing at the starting line at 7:00 in the morning.

-After the race, runners were allowed to enjoy the Mustang show,

-I was running my second race in a new pair of Reeboks, these were a great shoe to run in.

-Then got injured by these same shoes during a cool stretch after the race.

-This injury sidelined me for about four weeks.

-The medal is one of my favorite medals in my collection.

-This was the race that really kicked off the running/racing bug. I wanted to sign up for more races after I left here.




One the Mustangs entered in the show.


One of 1964 commemorative Mustangs for the 50th Anniversary.


Another Mustang entry from the show.


Race #2 for 2014

Overall - This was a really fun race. I love the idea of running on the race track, I just wish a race next year will take place on this track. And even though I got injured during my cool down, I think this was one of the more memorable races in 2014. The support for the race was amazing! There was help through out the entire race. I was really worried that I was going to get lost during the race, but there were plenty of people guiding us where we needed to go. The finish line was also really well done, there was plenty of recovery food and drinks for all runners. It had to be one of the best finish line areas I have seen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment