Life running in the dessert

Ryan Hall and Utah Valley Half Marathon

♠ Posted by Paul Naylor at 9:00 AM


I'm making plans to run the Utah Valley Half Marathon coming in June of next year. It'll be the first time running this race and first time running a race in Utah County. I have seen many ads for this race over the years, but never made it due to scheduling matters. But this coming year, I'm looking forward to making the trip from the heat of Las Vegas to the crisp air of the Wasatch Mountains.

A few things has drawn me to this race in 2015; first was the finisher medal, I have seen many pictures of the years that come from this race. And year after year, they don't seem to disappoint, and they get better and better. Last year has to be my favorite one that I have seen, and this coming race can only get better. The second thing that grabbed my interest is a special appearance by Ryan Hall, he'll be speaking at the expo before the race and also running the race with the other runners. This is going to be very exciting for many Utah runners as I'm sure that many of them will know who Ryan Hall is, and probably even looked up to him(like myself). And this opportunity to hear about his experiences and advice and the expo will be amazing, and then getting to run with him during the race will be even better.

I'm not sure at this point if Ryan Hall is going to be running the race to for a decent time, of if he'll be one of the pacers. Earlier this year, Mo Farah ran in the Las Vegas Rock n Roll Half Marathon pacing the 1:40 group. Ryan could do something similar, and if he does, that would be huge for many runners that would like to run side-by-side with an elite athlete.

The race itself is set to be fast, with a nice gradual decent starting in Provo Canyon with the finish line in downtown Provo.

Utah Valley Half Marathon: Half Marathon Elevation

I have heard that this course was great for setting a PR, the decent is enough to make a fast race, but you don't have to beat up your legs for it. Now this can be a race where I can try to get a PR for myself, I think this will be a great race to do so.

Aside from the downhill course, running in Utah Canyons are always amazing. My favorite races always take place in one of the canyons along the Wasatch. For example, the Ogden and Big Cottonwood races has some the best scenery in Northern Utah. So I look forward to the sights of the canyon for this event. And being in June, as long as the weather holds out, there should be a sea of green trees throughout the canyon. A gradual decent once getting on University Parkway taking runners from the canyon to downtown Provo. The finish line will at the intersection of University and Center St, and should be poised for a great finish line party.

This is a race that I get more excited for as the race gets closer. I'm looking forward to the medal, the canyon scenery and the opportunity to see Ryan Hall. My goal is to shake hands with him. I've first heard of him in high school, he graduated two years before I did. And his college to professional career was a great to follow over the years. This race will be one to remember!

0 comments:

Post a Comment